Wednesday, October 27, 2010

CALLISTEMON - BOTTLE BRUSH

This was another specimen high on my list of gotta-gets while on our Southern California trip.  I wasn't sure of the name, but was calling it the Bottle Brush.  And, lo, that's it's common name!  Otherwise known as Callistemon, the flower resembles a bottle brush.  There are alot of these in the area, but I got my sample at the Huntington Library Museum (shhh, don't tell them) right out in front of the entrance!
The bush was covered with bees, and I was trying to be inconspicuous.  When I can't help myself and must get a sample from a plant, I try to take the samples from the back or bottom, or some place where it won't be as noticeable.  And, I spread the damage around to several different plants if possible.  I got a full sandwich baggie full and decided that was plenty, although I was wishing I could get a lot more!


When I got home I separated the red spikes from the receptacles.  This first piece of fabric I put just the red spikes on it, spread them around evenly, rolled it up tied it with string and stuck it in a jar.  I added warm water - 130 degrees - screwed on the lid and left it overnight.  It turned the most gorgeous purple.


I took the receptacles which had a few little red spikes in them and the leaves and spread them around on another piece of prepared fabric, rolled it up and tied it, put it in a jar, added the hot water.

I left them for a few days, and then opened the little packages.




As you can guess the beautiful purple came from the red spikes.  You can see where the ties had been.


The receptacle fabric was interesting also.  The purple was from the red spikes, the reddish brown is from the receptacles.  The leaves didn't leave much color.


I had put the remainder of the flowers I'd gathered into the freezer.  I put them in a nylon sock, and dunked them into hot water and crammed a little piece of prepared fabric in with them.  The initial release of color went swiftly into the fabric closest and created this very interesting pattern: 

No comments:

Post a Comment