Thursday, October 28, 2010

CEDAR?


I saw these really beautiful little 'seeds' on the ground in the parking lot at Lincoln Park.  I gathered up about a cupful.  I think the tree is some sort of Cedar, but, who knows!

  I spread them out on fabric prepared with alum and soda ash, rolled it up in plastic and let it sit a few days.  When I unrolled it, it was like the picture above - white with yellow/gold spots.  I didn't really like it.  So, I spread them out evenly and ran it through the press.  That spread the color around a little, but not enough.  I moistened the fabric and let it soak with the smashed 'seeds' for another day.  Then I rinsed the fabric off, let it air dry and pressed it.  I can still smell the evergreen smell.  Very nice. I love the mottled golds and yellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment